Sign up to be emailed when new events are announced.
The Wyck Food Festival and Symposium
Fri, Jun 24, 2011 - Sat, Jun 25, 2011, 4pm - 4pm
On Friday June 24, 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM, join us for a free community festival featuring local food tastings, including food from Wyck’s Home Farm, cooking demonstrations, live music from Riverside bluegrass band, children’s activities, and much more. Savor history, as it were, through tastings of heirloom vegetables and fruits, and historic recipes prepared for today’s consumer. Whole Foods Market, Grid Magazine, Slow Food Philly, The Food Trust, and Historic Germantown will join in this celebration of food and foodways.
Feed your mind on Saturday, June 25, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Saturday’s program, Cultivating Our Food Roots, will highlight both the evolution and preservation of American foodways culture. We will journey through historic paths of production and consumption and gain an understanding of the place of food in history. This in-depth exploration will then move to current models, the growing trends in the local food movement, and preserving crop diversity.
Symposium speakers include:
- Internationally known food historian William Woys Weaver
- African American food historian and community scholar Michael Twitty
- Strategic Initiative Leader for Sustainable Food Systems for the University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources Rose Hayden-Smith
- Writer, editor and co-chair of the Slow Food USA Biodiversity Committee, Ben Watson
- Owner/Chef of Geechee Girl Rice Café, Valerie Erwin
A catered, family-style lunch will be provided by Geechee Girl Rice Café. This is a ticketed program.
Wyck Historic House and Garden
6026 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144
For more information
Rebekka Schultz email@example.com 215-848-1690